Thursday, July 7, 2011

So You Say What You Are Happy To Have

A few weeks ago Kam and I attended church. First time in (I hate to say this) almost 3 years. Kam is still getting the hang of the whole prayer thing. He hates folding his arms and refuses to close his eyes. Shouting "AMEN!" at the top of his lungs after the prayer oh he is all over it. I decided that since I pray every night before bed, I should introduce him to bedtime prayer also. Tonight was the first night. This is how it went.

"Ok Kam we are going to say bedtime prayers tonight" "Why?" "So you can tell God what you are thankful for and ask him for help if you need any." Kam is climbing into his recliner in his room at this point and I am kneeling at his bed. "Kam come over here and kneel down with me." "Why?" "That is just how you say a prayer." Reluctantly climbing out of his recliner "Why?" By now I am beginning to wonder if we are playing 20 questions. "It is just how you do it Kam. Now put your hands like this and I want you to think of anything that you are happy to have." "Why?" "So think about anything that you are happy to have and we will tell God thank you for giving it to us." "I donno mommy" "OK I will start the prayer...You say what I say. Dear Heavenly Father..." "Dear Heabenewy Faduu" "I am thankful for..." I am getting a blank stare at this point. "So say what you are happy to have Kam" Blank stare. "So say what you are happy to have." "You. I'm happy about you." Tears are welling up in my eyes. "I am thankful for my mommy..." "I am tankfoool fo my mommy." "OK what else..." "Ummmm my bed." "I am thankful to have a warm bed to sleep in..." "I am tankfool to hab a warm bed to sweep in." "Is there anything else Kam?" "Ummm no." "I say these things...." Getting cut off by a very eager Kam at this point, "IN HEABENEWY FADDER AMEN!!!"

Overall I think it was a pretty good first bedtime prayer with mommy. He never ceases to amaze me with his gratitude. When he told me he was happy about me I almost lost it. (OK I did lose it. Just a little.) It made me feel so warm and fuzzy to know that someone is thankful enough about me in their life they told God.

"It is not a slight thing when those that are so fresh from God, love us in return." -Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment