Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Health Mission

I have been really trying to be healthier and take better care of myself this year. This is what I like to call the Health Mission. It is my mission to look for more organic items, drink more soy and almond milk, cut out processed foods, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and cook dinner instead of ordering dinner or getting it out of a box.
So far it is going OK. I say OK because I am a candyholic. Other than that it is fabulous. Kam and I make our breakfast from scratch in the morning and the mornings we are in a hurry it is still something along the lines of fresh fruit and yogurt. I have made a huge effort to take lunches to work vs hitting a drive thru window. I know that a frozen pasta isn't always the best but I am sure it beats a deep fried piece of processed chicken that is cut into pieces that are shaped like the BK crown. Dinner is so much fun now. Tuna helper you can kiss my butt. The butt that you helped morph into a size bigger than I was 2 years ago. I am more adventurous and want to try to make things from scratch. When we don't cook we still keep it healthy.
For example last night Kam decided that he wanted pizza. I pulled out my file for restaurant coupons and found a pretty good one for Papa Murphy's take and bake. I asked Kam which one he wanted and he points to the vegetarian. This one is actually my favorite, I didn't know, however, how Kam would like it since it doesn't have red sauce or meat. He was persistent though so off I went, with my fingers crossed he would eat dinner that night, to pick up a pile of vegetables and cheese.
We get home, cook the pizza which looked amazing, (my mouth was watering the whole time it was baking and I was pacing the floor like a worried dog) and dish up. Kam was soooo excited to eat it. I was still worried that excitement would drain out of his little being the minute he tasted an artichoke heart. I sat him down at the table and gave him his piece that he picked out all by himself and asked what he would like to drink. "So do you want ice water, milk, Gatorade or orange juice?" In a very cheerful tone he replies "I want SOY MILK!"
That was the moment. The moment I knew my goal of raising a kid with his health in mind was being achieved. I was so impressed with my little man. I was even more impressed when he ate his ENTIRE piece of vegetarian pizza and washed it down with a cup of soy milk.

Mission accomplished. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is great Mattie! I love that you are this way. The world would be a much better place without fast food! People would be happier as a whole if they would just eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete